Monday, February 16, 2009

Green Frogs

When Sam was staying with Susie at Moonstone long ago, Susie took her revenge on Sam (after Sam made a Lemon Meringue Pie and ate it all before Sue got home) by throwing a bucketful of green frogs on Sam while she was in the bath. Worked too - Sam leaped out of the bath and ran naked through a crowded room to escape.

At Glenellen in Rocky we had so many green frogs that Joan and Lee paid me 20 cents for each one I got out of the toilet - I was enterprising too - I paid Matthew 5 cents to catch them and put them back in the toilet!

Now they are so rare that when we heard one in the drain pipe Roger took the whole pipe apart to get it out to look at and relocate to somewhere nicer (the dam).

Louisa and Max found a couple of little marsh frogs for friends but Roger was insistent that it should be let go in the dam.

Well they tried - but the way Louisa tells the story she put it on a lilypad but it looked so scared that she had to pick it up again. It looks scared don't you think?

So Louisa rescued it.

And it sat on her arm for so long that I almost believed the story. Finally Louisa and Max walked around trying each tree until the frog finally hopped off onto the Jacaranda tree where it seems to have made a new home.

No comments: