That's me - and completely lacking in any form of self control.
On the first Friday of November Pine has a sleep over - and we have a firm tradition that Roger goes and takes anyone not breast feeding. Since Max is 7 that translates - and has translated for the last 5 years or so - into a night off for me. This night off is usually spent with some shopping, dinner and then home to sleep alone. To me this is a glorious evening - Roger can't understand and says that he feels like a part of him is missing when he is home alone - I think a part of me is missing too - but I like it for a little while!
The pathetic part is that every year I make a list of things to buy - this year it was a new watch band, nail polish and a long ruler (to mark the lounge room map) - and every year I come home with a stack of books and nothing on my list since I run out of money.
This years books are:
Angela and the Baby Jesus - children's Christmas book by Frank McCourt who I don't love - but it's a lovely book so I won't hold that against him.
One City Two Brothers - picture book about a legend about the beginning of Jerusalem.
Animals - gorgeous bargain table book full of great animal pictures.
A World of Poetry - obviously an anthology - selected by Michael Rosen.
Collapse - Jared Diamond - was going to try to read Joan's copy but now it is in small paperback format so it is easier to carry around.
Looking for Atlantis - Colin Thompson.
Castles - Colin Thompson.
The Art Book for Children Part 2 - part 1 was fantastic and I've been waiting for part 2 - so really this one at least counts as delayed gratification.
Through the Childrens Gate - Adam Gopnik - my reading for the night - light, insightful, funny pleasing account of fatherhood and life in New York.
In my defence - and such a long list does need defending - there were many more books that I passed up. Jesse came with Joan and I for the afternoon shopping this time - she arrived at Pine at 5.30 - and she agrees that I showed unusual restraint.
After dropping Jesse to Pine and saying a quick hello there, Joan and Lee and I went to Arriva for dinner - unbelievably good food. Then I was home and to bed with Through the Childrens Gate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment