"Well, as for the work, we got VERY hampered this week. Elder Klima, who serves in Narva in Estonia came down here for visa work (I'm not entirely sure why, sounds like a mix-up at the office). Which took two days. We only just got him on the bus before we had to hurry back to the chapel on the other side of town in time for zone conference, which was great- a huge focus on finding and teaching. That may sound fairly ordinary, but in my last one, it was really focused on topics like obedience, recognising the importance of family, and such. So it was still a great first week, but not as much work done. Which never makes me feel great. On the other hand, Saturday's work was just amazing! We pretty much had one in every category when we did our numbers that night (Lessons with members present, other lessons taught, a contact received and contacted and a new investigator), which was VERY encouraging. It's a real boost when you see good numbers at the end of a missionary day, makes you feel like you worked really well.I really don't know what I'd like for christmas. My two front teeth maybe, I can't guarantee that I'll have those by Christmas, thanks to some people I contact (kidding of course, they're all wonderful. even those who swear at me.) "
"Vilnus is a beautiful city. The ward itself is really strong. People didn't so much dislike Russians in Tallinn, they just didn't understand why I wasn't speaking Estonian. The Lithuanian people as a whole, however, have a general dislike for the Russians. Not so much in Vilnus, but I hear when you get into the town of Klaipedos, the prejudice really grows. Lithuania really resisted Russia and the Soviet Union in days gone by, and that mentality has carried over in some areas."
(In response to Roger selling his old car to Arabs) "Gee, what is it with Arabs and Peugeot's? Or is it the same guy? Is it because they can handle a smash pretty well? Maybe that explains why there are so many in the Baltics. A popular way for Lithuanians to park is to find a place where you legally can't park, and put your hazzard lights on. And they wonder why the traffic is so shocking..."
From Max's letter:
Well, my companion, Elder Lind, is district leader in Vilnus. Which means that every night he needs to call every russian-speaking missionary in Vilnus to see if they're home. All missionaries in the Baltics have mobile phones to use as a proselyting tool. Well, one pair of elders weren't answering their phone. So we had to go all the way to their flat on the other side of town. It was very late when we left, and even later when we to their flat. So we couldn't go home and had to stay at the other Elder's flat. I was very tired at church the next day.
From Louisa's letter:
On Monday, while I was contacting, I saw this little puppy who was trying to be VERY tough- barking at everyone just saying "I'm a big, tough dog. woof woof." It was VERY cute.
No comments:
Post a Comment