Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Parent Teacher Interviews

This post will be nothing more than a recap of last night's parent teacher interviews at Kelvin Grove and is full of delightful things about Jesse & Peet and could be easily misconstrued as boastful and a bit annoying - so read at your own risk.

5 favourite moments:

Jesse' Ancient History and Extension English teacher - Adam Davey - asked if I had lots of teachers to see - I said that I must have done something right because the sub shop ladies who do the rostering gave me everyone I asked for (all 9 teachers) without a single break - to which Adam replied - 'well you're the Fulchers - Kelvin Grove Royalty!' Which left me a little lost for words and I quickly moved on - but on reflection I think it's because between all the Fulchers there have been 8 really nice kids go through KGSC so far - and there are 5 still to go.

Jesse's Core English teacher Kay Elsden was talking to some parents well into my ten minutes and they kept apologising and I wasn't worried - really I don't have much to talk to these teachers about - but when I sat down Kay apologised again and said 'I explained that it would be alright because my next interview is with the parent of the most perfect child in the school' - which must have just been lovely for the parents before me!

Peet's music teacher - Alisa Jones - said he is doing really well - even said that he is the most musically talented kid in the year 8 music program.

Cathy Beazley (Ron Boswell's daughter and Jesse's Legal Studies teacher) said she hopes Jesse never finishes year 12 because she so enjoys talking to her - I assured her that I can't wait till Jesse finishes year 12.

Finally - Peet's maths/science teacher - the much maligned Mr Di Leigge - was my most important interview - and my last. Last week he foolishly assigned the whole class 200 lines of 'I will not call out in class'. Peet was very upset and we had a series of conversations about this and Peet eventually decided to do the lines and I would talk to the teacher at Parent Teacher Interviews. I thought it was all going ok and I thought he was holding his own - he did start by saying that he wishes he had a class full of Peets - but after talking for him for a while about arbitrary punishment and manipulation of children he handed me an exam to look at and his hand was shaking - so then I had to spend 10 extra minutes telling him all the good things he is doing in class - and ended with him assuring me that the line writing will never happen again.

So in all just a really funny set of interviews and a really good showing for the kids.

1 comment:

Lisha said...

How wonderful, now what were you saying about not giving your family enough balance in their lives.......something to that effect. I think the fruits of your and their labours are being rewarded.

Fantastic Peet & Jesse. I think you're allowed to boast a little Kim