Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Remorse

When Max was five he stole a wrist band from Officeworks - it was totally premeditated. We were getting some printing done and while we were waiting he was begging for a wrist band. Then when we got into the car he reached into his pocket, pulled out a wrist band and said 'I'm so glad you didn't see me put this in my pocket!!!"

When I could breathe again we had a very long talk about stealing - took the wrist band back amidst many tears of remorse - and learned a (hopefully) valuable lesson about repentance.

The repentance lesson went something like: "you are only five so you really can't do anything wrong - you haven't learnt enough yet to make your own choices - but you are lucky to be able to practice for the time when you are eight and will be responsible for the things you do' etc etc.

There were plenty of tears and an appropriate amount of remorse. And it's true that there are none so virtuous as the newly converted - Max would seize every possible moment to tell the other kids that they shouldn't steal, or do the wrong thing.

That was a couple of years ago. Today, when I pointedly asked how school went those remorseful tears started all over again. (I actually already knew what had happened - but I was hoping he would tell me.) The story went something like: 'I don't know why I did this - sob - I looked through Maris' wallet - sob - it was just lying there and I wanted to look and then Maris got mad - sob, sob, sob - and I said sorry and I won't do it again'. There was no stealing and I was so pleased that even though Anastassia actually did it too he didn't tell me about that and just took the responsibilty himself.

For a kid who is so sure of himself, so old for a seven year old, and so confident he has a really tender heart.

And truly - how could I not adore a little face like this.

No comments: