Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Thomas News

Well, transfer calls came on Sunday evening (a day late). I have now been transferred to the Latvian city of Daugavpils. Every companion I have had since my trainer has gone off about how wonderful this city is, and I believe it. There is a real "goodness" here that just isn't in other place I have served. And even though the trees are still bare, and there is still slush from snow everywhere, the place is beautiful. Working here is pure energy!

Daugavpils is East of Riga, closer to Belarus. This is the first small city I've served in and the city has an enormous Russian population. EVERYONE here speaks Russian and most small companies have advertisements in Russian as well as Latvian. There is only one Russian-speaking branch in the whole city. When I say the place is small, I mean it is VERY small. Think somewhere between Rockhampton and Mackay in terms of size.

The Daugava river (the same river that runs through Riga) runs through the city and occasionally you will see people get out onto the ice (very brave, considering winter is almost over, and even then, this winter was a very warm one) make holes in the ice and fish. For the record, missionaries are not allowed to eat fish from the river.

My companion is Elder Arnell. He's a fun guy who works really hard. He comes from Portland, Oregon and has a voice kinda like Kermit the Frog. My district leader is Elder Cavender (my second companion in Tallinn), so was very excited to see him. You'll likely hear more as the weeks progress.

Missionaries here aren't told to keep 72 hour packs. But how interesting to hear about the 12 months thing. Especially in light of the fact that there seems to be flooding everywhere in QLD at the moment.

This week has already seen some really good things happening. We went to speak with a man named Robert. Our intention was just to read the Book of Mormon with him, from 1 Nephi 13. And he started to ask what the great and abominable church was. Well, throughout that conversation we were trying to explain that we recognised that there was good in all churches, but that none of them had all the truth of God or the authority to teach, which was the abominable part. It dawned on me that we would have to teach about the apostacy and Joseph Smith. It was a wonderful lesson where the spirit was really felt. We commited him to read and pray and set up a meeting for Thursday. I seem to be able to have a greater control of the language at the moment, I'm understanding people more and am able to better handle lessons.

Happy Birthday to Alec tomorrow. I hope it all goes well. Get to work on those mission papers- you don't want to delay it- believe me.

I keep neglecting to mention, so I'd better do it now- I received your package for my birthday. It was wonderful. I do need to ask though- where did you find all that milo? It was well loved by me and Elder Rasmussen.

Our apartment here is really nice, considering that we didn't have an oven in our last one (just a stove). This one is very modern-looking for the Baltics. I've really lucked out in the apartment-department.

My hand is fine- nothing to worrry about there. Elder Calderwood was shocked about it-particularly the scar. But it's feeling fine- I just need to remember to exercise it. Well, thats all from me, more in the following weeks.

I hope all of you are well. Again, no need to worry. I love this mission and the wonderful work of the Lord.

No comments: