Wednesday, February 3, 2010

School - week 1

Louisa is going to be just fine at high school - as Jesse says 'no-one could resist someone so absolutely adorable.'

She just might be the sweetest little grade 8 thing on two legs!

The night before school was a bit traumatic - lots of doubts, lots of nerves, and a few hormones I think.

But the next morning she bravely met the day and put on a happy face which was still there that afternoon.

Max had his first day as the only Fulcher at Pine too - a bit traumatic the night before too - though I think he caught it from Louisa.

His first day was a success.

Day three - not so much. Apparently one of the new kids is pushing him around and picking on him - he is scarred (and scared) and said he would not go back till the new kid left. I negotiated down to just having the new kid do the right thing at school. So I left the matter in Drew's capable hands on Monday morning, and left Max in Jesse and Tom's capable hands for the day.

The next day Max braved school (in spite of the other sadnesses of Monday evening) and although Drew hadn't made much headway the little girls had it all under control. They are watching the new kid - and he knows it and they are playing with Max - it's just not worth messing with Max - or the little girls.

Peet's first day was a smashing success too - he has all good teachers and good subjects - hooray - one less thing to fuss about.

Louisa's happy days came to a crashing stop on Monday - she phoned me at lunch time - in tears - needing to come home. I phoned my very good friends the student services ladies and told them to expect Louisa. When she arrived she told them 'I'm just a bit sad and I want my mum'. They signed her out as sick.

It was all about the maths test - Louisa's first ever test - and she has decided she doesn't like them. Leaving her glasses at home didn't help - apparently the numbers get jumbled up without them. But even with glasses I think it would have been hard. So I phoned the teacher - who was lovely - and made some arrangements and Louisa braved the next day. Quite the triumph of will. And now she seems happy again.

Louisa has a TAD teacher who also taught Alec and Jesse - so she is set in that class.

1 comment:

Lisha said...

Well I'm glad that wasn't my household first week back. How do you cope with the emotions?! Hopefully all have settled into their school routine now. High school is such a big change. My boys had a pretty smooth start to the year, good teachers all round this year.