Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas

Last night I browsed the bookshelf and Max joined me to ask if I thought he could read The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.  I didn't think so.  Max burst into tears.  Through the sobbing I managed to discern that he was worried about not being able to read that level of book yet and that he really wanted to read that particular book.  Jesse came to the rescue and empathised and suggested that I read it to him.

And so we sat right there on the reading couch and read for a long time.  We are up to chapter 5 and Max thinks that from now on we should read during the day - 'not because it will be scary but it will get sad' - which is true.

Later that night Max mused that he always thought the pyjamas would be blue striped when the book says they are grey striped.  I suggested maybe a grey-blue stripe.  "Oh yes," he answered, "like the grey-blue distance."*  And off he went to watch Call of the Wild on DVD.

* That's a reference to My Country which includes the line 'Strong love of grey-blue distance'

No comments: