Monday, August 10, 2009

18

Jesse is 18.
I said we could do anything she wanted for her birthday. (Actually I said we couldn't take the whole family to Laos and when she suggested a party I kind-of sighed and said ok.)

After a little thought Jesse said the thing she wanted to do most was for the whole family to climb Mt Ngungun - the smallest of the Glasshouse mountains.

I am not sure whether to be suspicious or flattered that not one of my family members - all of whom except Peet have climbed it before - thought to tell me it was really a bit out of my league.

I sent them on ahead and went on at my own pace. I made it - but it was a quite a climb. For me anyway - some of the kids actually ran up!

Jesse got her wish and successfully turned 18 with presents of a ticket to the Union test, vintage blue topaz earrings*, a book of course, Jane Eyre on DVD, a wallet from Lee & Joan and a bracelet from Anne.

(On the way down the mountain Thomas and Peet ran, Roger jogged, and Jesse and Louisa raced Max and Alec - through the bush. I was wishing I had sent them all with whistles and imagined how embarrassed I would be if we had to send out a search party.)
* Jesse does not approve of new jewelry -'no African is going to die in gold or diamond mines so I can look tizzy' were I believe her exact words. And then there's the water and energy issues - we can go on and on. Anne's bracelet is plastic which is preferable to precious metals and gems in Jesse's eyes.

No comments: