Thursday, December 18, 2008

Peet

Just for the record (keep in mind that Peet is also unbelievably stubborn and definitely has his faults!):

Turns out Peet is an 'Academic Achiever'. I had a call from the Gifted and Talented Association based at the high school to ask if Peet would please go into the Academic Achievers class - I said maybe not. I'm more keen on time to spend with family and play than on too much time spent hitting the books etc, and I really can't see the point of pushing kids early when in the end they all go through uni or whatever and come out ok at the end. (Apparently that was not the right answer because the G&T woman sounded a little incredulous - maybe even a bit hurt -when I said I'd talk to Peet and get back them but probably no.)

Roger called and I told him that Peet had been asked to join the AA class - he said 'why?' So we're not off to a particularly good start.

Then Peet came home and we asked him - he fretted over it and thought that maybe he should not go to Mutual that night because he needed to think about it - we sent him to Mutual anyway - it was a pool party so you don't want to miss that.

In the end Peet said he would like to do it - because the teachers should be pretty happy to be there and he had a friend who lives at Samford in that class (I spared the G&T woman his reasoning).

Then a couple of days later his report card came home - and now we see 'why'. Out of 24 places for a mark he got 22 A's and 2B's (and one of the B's was for HPE which he missed the last exam in - just couldn't be bothered - and the other was for Italian in which he is the top student). Jesse said it's a good thing we never started paying for A's. Alec said 'you never saw that many B's on a report card from me'.

Apparently they held exams a few weeks ago for anyone wanting to go into the AA class - but Peet got in on his laurels.

So it turns out Peet really is an Academic Achiever - who knew?

(I would like to find the med student who did some testing on him when he was nine months old for a uni paper and reported to me that he was badly developmentally delayed and I should seek help - he was my 4th so I just laughed and went on my way - but if he'd been my first I might have been devastated.)

2 comments:

Rissa said...

Yea for Peet! How early do they start teaching kids languages over there? Italian, wow. What is HPE?

Roger said...

HPE stands for Health & Physical Education - it's sport with a bit of theory - and all kids do some language from preschool on - though this was Peet's first year of Italian.